Friday, June 11, 2010

Delete Delete Delete

Do you receive junk emails? If you are old enough to have an email address (approximately 1.5 days old and above), your inbox is more than likely invaded with messages you delete upon arrival.

At first, all the junk emails I got were in the form of questions:
Are you looking for love?
Have you looked at your credit score lately?
Are you interested in investing?
Looking to shed 5-100 pounds?
Is your refrigerator running?

I must admit, when I first started receiving these emails, I genuinely thought they needed an answer. I would reply saying, "Thank you for thinking of me! I'm not interested right now, but I appreciate your consideration! Sincerely, Anna Jones".
The senders rewarded my kindness by sending my the same emails again.
And again.
And again.

A few round of this and my response was a little more direct. "I can only assume that you didn't receive my first eleven emails I sent because I am NOT interested in you offer at this time, or ever. Please forward this message to everyone you work with, everyone you are related to, and everyone you've ever made eye contact with. Seriously, Anna Jones".

Then the emails got pushy:
Save the whales and cell phone minutes now!
Respond immediately to avoid coupon expiration!!
Hurry! Claim your new Dell laptop!!!!!
Well, then you'd better go catch it!!!!!!!!!!

With each email, the line of exclamation points got longer and longer, until one day, I was sent a message where the entire subject line was a row of them! you can be sure i opened it right away - I don't know what would happen to our economy if I didn't respond immediately to "Nancy" in the Stimulus Department to let her know whether or not I wanted to take advantage of Obama's "Mom's Back To School" program.

Before I close, I want to let you know that with all this junk mail coming into my inbox, I sometimes accidentally delete legitimate messages from people I have actually met. Keep this in mind so that if I ever don't respond to your email, realize that it's either because it's in my recycle bin or because I've ignored it on purpose :)

1 comment:

  1. dude, facebook me your e-mail addy and I'll invite you to gmail. gmail is the king of all e-mail

    ReplyDelete